Saturday, January 23, 2016

One Self Publishing Pitfall

So, I "unpublished" my novel WHERE THE DEVIL WON'T GO because my wife found several grammatical errors. Before self-publishing this novel, two trusted beta-readers each found errors that I fixed. I read through the book one more time and found a couple of errors, also.

I thought we caught them all.

You never catch them all.

A month before this, I decided to bite the bullet and pay for a line editor for a new manuscript that I'm shopping around. It is the best decision I ever made. Savannah Thorne at savannahthorne.com was inexpensive and opened my eyes to so many things. I feel like I've turned a corner here.

Anyway, after my wife pointed out a missing word in Where The Devil Won't Go, I pulled it. It is now in the hands of the fabulous Ms. Savannah Thorne. (And don't get fooled by the "she-male" that pops up when you do a Google search - that's not her/him). Ha ha.

I've talked to a few avid readers and it seems they've come to expect the missing word or misplaced comma when reading self-published books. That's a good thing if they're that forgiving, but it's not a good thing to be apathetic about it. As for myself, I am embarrassed to have a handful of people reading through my errors.

Now, this is the first book in the Lucas Peyroux detective series, so Savannah will certainly get the next one soon. As I don't post here too often, please check to see if I re-published Where The Devil Won't Go once this post gets a few weeks old. It shouldn't take that long. Once it is back up, I will make another post.

Thanks everyone!

2 comments:

  1. This is so true, EJ -- unfortunately, not only of independently published works, but also of (some) books I've read that were under the labels of the Big 5. And even more so of newspapers, where I began my career long, long ago as a copy editor, back when that was a pivotal role in the newsroom chain. Now, not so much. You're lucky to have found a good editor, and wise to employ her. I'm looking forward to Lucas Peyroux stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary. I actually just finished going through the edits and will re-read it one last time. It is so much better now. It makes me wonder how things could have been if I had splurged years ago. Oh, well. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete